VMs: Re: RE: VMS evolving table encipherment

John Grove John@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote
14 December 2003 00:20
Subject: VMs: RE: VMS evolving table encipherment

> fa   ao   oi   ii   in   ns   sh   ho   ok   ka   ar
> o C  i O  i U  i L  s Y  h O  o U  k T  a A  i K  r E
>                n D
>
>        Doesn't it bother you that 'i' does not exist as a separate entity
> and is
> probably just a portion of single character? In your process above...
there
> is
> no such thing as 'iin' : that's only an EVA version of what is most likely
> single character> for the sake of your encryption method - lets assign it
> 'N'
> like back in the FSG transcription...

It does not bother me if that was the intention of the author. Take the
English
word endings ing & ion. These would tend to stand out in a cipher. However
if these word endings were masked by the addition of a forced repetition
attached
to other word endings it would be much harder to isolate them.

We know that the structure of the VMS
is rigid. This is a construct developed by the author. Either to make an
artificial
system language like or mask the underlying properties of the plaintext. He
went to enough trouble to make it uncrackable that we are still here
discussing
it today. I am still convinced that it is in Italian, as this is the only
language pattern
that comes anywhere near to matching. I would just like to ask anyone
reading
this where they think it could possibly go next or whether it is useful at
all.

All comments will be considered.

> fa ao oN Ns sh ho ok ka aR etc... might be easier to argue out. Although,
> the
> problem is that all those 'i' and 'e/c' type characters/glyphs vary in how
> many
> strokes begin them; thus forcing the invention of EVA et al to depict the
> variations
> of what appears to be a similar letter into '@',an,ain,aiin,aiiin or the
> e-versions
> of b,cb,ccb,cccb. This of course is the same effect on a number of the
> end-ligatures
> like an a/r wierdo, ar,air,aiir,aiiir and aj,aij,... maybe even the
> aith,etc...
>
>         If an encryption process is used, it should be one that the author
> could
> pick out quite readily without lenghty look-up tables I would think.
> Especially,
> where labels are concerned. The recent posts of the Tranchedino cipherbets
> provides
> a little view into the minds of some encryption processes. Yes, there are
> number
> of VMS-type characters coincidentally represented there - but many more
that
> are not
> and many others that aren't in the VMS. What is interesting in the pages
> from
> Tranchedino is the tendency toward using very similar looking characters
for
> consecutive
> plain text letters.
>
>     Take the '1r' page for example and look at the encrypted characters
for
> g through i
> which all have variations of an 'o' and '+' or look at the Reverse
Syllabics
> like
> ub,ac,ec, ic?,oc,uc which are all similar 'g' shapes. And for the VMS
lovers
> in all of us...
>
> check out the encrypted forms for as,es,is,oS,uS,ar,er,ir,or,ur which
amount
> to VMS 'q'
> (for the s) and a VMS 'y'(for the r) with a vowel ligature/marker. I guess
> could also
> suggest that the 'p' syllables are VMS 'c' with the same markers...
>

>    This tendency to represent the same consonant within the syllabic set
> seems rather natural
> in my view. I also think that if someone was to invent an alphabet there
> would be a tendency
> toward slight variations in consecutive order like those seen in
> Tranchedino. The reason is simple:
> The author wants to be able to read his own text without having to ALWAYS
go
> back to the chart.
>
>    Once the brain is engaged to the method used, it should be able to
> continue reading without too
> much reflection back to the source table.  Just looking over a couple of
the
> Tranchedino pages
> shows the tables were designed as quick glance references (IMHO). The 1v
> page plain alphabet
> letters pqr for example make it simple enough to see the creator used the
> numbers 1 through 7 in
> reverse order as cipher characters, any upgright T form with dots in it
> would be a 'g', any wavy line
> is an 'i' etc...

1 to 7 is significant as 7 was regarded as a special number in alchemy I am
told.
This also leads me to suggest that it might in fact be artificial a la
Enochian and
may in fact have been produced by a table form that John Dee had created. In
which case we are with the wrong dog barking up the wrong tree.

As for Reverse Syllabics this would really foul things up in some respects
but
would not necessarily destroy the underlying language structure. IMHO I feel
that analysing the structures of proposed plaintext languages might be a way
go. If the author made it easy enough for himself to decipher without
reference
to table then the structure must be fully intact. If a table such as the one
I have
produced was used merely to trace the legitimate pathways through the
expected
languages then a heirarchy of lanuage units could be built as a template
against
which to analyse the structure of the VMS. Has anyone on the list tried this
approach?

>       Granted, these don't represent a polyalphabetic system that might
> require a little more look-up
> time, but a manuscript as large as the VMS wouldn't be much use to its
> author if he lost the polyalphabetic
> charts (or worse) to be able to read his own manuscript (Unless f57v is
it).

Well hiding the solution with the cipher is the in plain sight method used
by
some cryptographers.

>   What use is a single page in the manuscript if the author has to spend
> three hours deciphering his own work?
>
>            John.

I previously wrote this