RE: VMs: f66r, der muszdel

Hi Philip,

At 21:31 08/03/2004 +0000, Philip Neal wrote:
The green area on this modern map is the right area for West Central
German (Westmitteldeutsch).
http://members.tripod.com/~radde/Mundarten.html

That's a big help, thanks! BTW, here's a short page I found on WCG, put together by Dr Jonathan West at Newcastle (plus his homepage):-
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/sml/staff/west/enhg_wcg.htm
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/sml/staff/west.php

However, not speaking German, I'm a little out of my depth here: all the links I followed in this area seemed to be to do not with palaeography but with linguistics - specifically, working with transcriptions and phonetic renderings. So... do you have any recommendations for where I should look to find scans of everyday (ie non-scribal) documents from this region (Frankfurt, Worms, Trier, etc) circa 1500? I guess Jon West might be a good person to ask about this?

These inscriptions are so short that I wouldn't want to commit myself.
They look the same general age to me. The month names are all
possible forms in mediaeval / early modern German, including Octember.

Great, thanks -

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....