Re: VMs: Re: New VMS transcriptions

Or that it takes a full paragraph to encode a sentence.

Heck, maybe
oky or dar dar dar dchoday oly cph
is:
 w  e  l   l   l    i   k   e   d

Larry Roux
Syracuse University
lroux@xxxxxxx

>>> hurychj@xxxxxxxxx 06/20/04 13:39 PM >>>
Hello,

did anybody speculate why the VM contains no commas nor full-stops? After all the dot as an ending of the sentence was commonly used in the  14th century Europe ( written little bit higher than today) and was already followed by a capital letter. As for comma, I am not sure, in some cases it looks like the dot was also used in that sense.  Instead of sentences  - in strict sense of the word - there are only "paragraphs" in the VM.

Two reasons come to my mind:
a) the author did not need full-stops for clarity - he just skipped to next line
b) in cipher text,  we do not need them either - they would be a clear giveaway.

Jan

>Jeff,
>This is indeed a piece of information that needs to be included, and I've
>troubled over it to some extent, especially finding a symbol to replace the
>half-space.  My proposal is the "dash" -  to indicate possible connectivity
>within the word.
>
>GC

Best regards.
Jan
 Our mail is always sent without attachments.
 http://hurontaria.baf.cz/enigma/ Enigma, nas novy casopis zahad