Re: VMs: Wired Rugg...

--- Koontz John E <John.Koontz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Rene Zandbergen wrote:
> > A similar joke is the fact that Rugg is supposed
> to be the first to work
> > on the basis of the assumption that the MS is a
> hoax.
>
> It might be wise to bear in mind that this is a
> third party production
> incorporating some remarks from Rugg.  There may
> well be significant
> differences between what he thinks and what the
> article depicts him as
> thinking.

That is clear. I trust that he is more aware of
the history of VMs research than appears from
this statement in the paper. His whole fundamental
approach is to make progress by finding the
mistakes in past research. At least, that is how
it is now being presented.

> Still, I think we can agreee that he thinks the VMs
> is a post-1550 hoax of
> some sort, and that he is "close" to understanding
> how it was put
> together.

If you mean that he thinks that he is close
to understanding, then yes (the sentence is a
bit ambiguous in that sense).

> He's entitled to pursue the matter, piling proof
> on proof if he can, and attempting to convince
> people willing to work over
> his solutions to do so and see if they get the same
> results.  Trying to
> get people who merely want to read about it to agree
> with him and to vote
> that he has the solution - winning in the court of
> public opinion, is not
> quite the same thing, but I don't think he's really
> trying to do this.

I'm not so sure about that. The big publicity started
before he had had a chance to take into account
the early feedback from people like myself (and
I know of at least two others) who pointed out
shortcomings in his approach.

Cheers, Rene