 Date: Mon,  5 Feb 2001 13:48:31 -0500
 From: pm232@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 To: voynich@xxxxxxxx
 Subject: Latin pronounciation

 I have heard stories about an old botany professor at Cornell (long
 before my short lifetime) who was so scrupulous in his Latin
 pronunciation that his colleagues and students couldn't understand what
 he was saying much the time. When speaking of grapes, for example, he
 would say "wee-tis" (Vitis) and "wee-ta-kee-aye" (Vitaceae)instead of
 the common but incorrect "vy-tis" and "vy-tay-see-ee".

 -Philip Marshall

<snipped> the rest....