Re: VMs: Re: Finding_02

I also thought the "scales" were flower petals until I studied the 86 series.  Look at f86v4.  Several of the scales are larger and seem to have writing on them as if they were tombstones.  Also - f86v4 has a moon in the center and is surrounded by the scales-tombstones-flowers.  Would there be a logical reason for flower petals to be on the "night page" instead of the "day" page f86r2?

******************************
Larry Roux
Syracuse University
lroux@xxxxxxx
*******************************
>>> jorvms@xxxxxxxxxxxx 06/06/03 16:15 PM >>>

Larry:
Thanks for sharing details of your investigation. I consider that next to
hypothesizing that folio 86 holds a crucial meaning as a whole, the best
approach would be perhaps to identify the similarities, differences and
relationships that each important element like rosettes and connections hold
to each other. Then, the meaning and function of each detail could be more
precisely established. I am convinced that the "scales" you mention are
flower-core elements. I do not have available other pictures depicted on
folio 86 with exception of  one certain 86v, the one with two birds and two
human figures at the page corners. Again, flower-like elements and processes
(pollenization?) are present.

Nick:
I consider that the exploration of a "Sephirotic Three compliance" in folio
86 and also in the rest of VMS has already gathered evidence enough to
approve it as a reasonable hypothesis, rather than simply as a guess or a
conjecture. It fits from several angles, in detail and as a whole, and in
more than one location. From that point of view, to keep pursuing related
pathways to decipher the VMS is perhaps one thing to be done with renewed
spirit, in spite of former nonsuccesses. To shed new light on former failed
attempts may change them into rewarding results. Thanks for  your references
to Steve Ekwall, Aiq Bekar, Francis Barrett and Israel Regardie. I have
little knowledge on occultism and mysticism besides some basic notions, so
for the time being I cannot comment properly on that. Thanks also for the
substantive, sound  link to Crowley and  mysticism, philosophy and religion
at. http://essenes.crosswinds.net/gemcrowley.html

Dana:
You are right. The similarity you point at between f22r and the
process-fundamented connections between the sephirot in f86 seems evident. I
could have included that folio in my suggested list of similarities; there
you likely shall find several more related matches. I suppose that the
Sephirotic tree was sketched  in modern times in the 15th?, 16th century, by
means of interpretation of the Sepher Yetzirah, am I right? Reading the
original text may generate some good hypothesis about which elements
appearing in other common renditions of the Sephirotic tree are
creation-transmutation process-bound and which ones were added for reasons
of aesthetic or numeric/alphabetic conformity. I suppose that the author of
folio 86 got its rendering straight  from the Sepher Yetzirah. You may want
to try the translation by W.W.Westcott at:
http://golden-dawn.org/sepher_yetzirah.html  . It is kind of monotonous, due
to the many repetitions and allegories, however that is a means to have a
quasi-first-hand evaluation of that question. I consider that the historical
involvement of jewish mystical tradition in numerical orchestrations tends
to yield flourished and abstruse results, masking the original underlying
philosophical meanings.

Rene:
I feel more and more convinced that f86 is central to the Voynich MS. If I
am going to keep investing time on it, I should better get a copy of Mary
D'Imperio's book for the rest of the stuff besides f86. Thanks for the hint.