Re: Re: Re: VMs: Further investigatio of folio f1r

I think we have all done character frequency counts on various languages and compared them to the Voy.  That is one of the most frustrating things about the manuscript - the frequency counts mirror actual languages very well.  That is, they are not out of the ordinary.

This tends to draw the newer Voy researchers into the inevitable conclusion that it is a simple single-substitution cipher.  And, yet, that is when the insanity begins.  You always feel that if you just got the right substitution down you could easily solve it.  And, believe me, I have tried.

So you then begin to look at more complicated encryption schemes.  Rotating keys, multiple table substitutions, etc.  But the thing is, the more complicated the encryption scheme you get the more the character frequency statistics that should be produced look less and less like a natural language (and very un-Voy-like).

Once that is realized the only solutions are: 1) a real genius did this and they were able to come up with a complicated scheme that mirrors the statistics and "feel" of a natural language, 2) the Voy is in a made up language, 3) it is a fabulously manufactured document [ie hoax] or 4) we just have not tried the right character replacement scheme yet.

I, personally, vacillate between 1 and 2.

Unfortunately, real-world work has slowed me down recently, but my next move was going to be to look at the Voy from a "word" standpoint.  That is, if it is a single substitution cipher or some kind of made up language, certain words should be evident.  "The", "Of", "And", "Or", "It"...for example.  Voy "ol" is a good candidate for one of those.  "daiin" another. "al" and "or" others.  I figure that once those kinds of words were identified it might lead to determining the best way to decrypt the rest of the text.

But then, I am fairly certain that is as blind of an alley as any other....as far as I know, "ol" stands for "and" in one place and "repository" in another.  In that case we may never figure this out.

Larry Roux
Syracuse University
lroux@xxxxxxx
>>> knoxmix@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 04/06/04 23:19 PM >>>
Hello Jan,

I enjoy reading at your website and your commentary on the list.
I would like to address a few of the issues of your latest message
and I will set off my remarks between dashed lines.