RE: VMs: provable?

Oops - I should have read ahead.  But this is kind of what I was
expecting.  We think in terms of words as the abstract stem or citation
form (dictionary entry), but in a text's language(s), the actual tokens in
which the word can occur range over the inflected forms of the word, which
may include several different cases and/or numbers (for nouns and
adjectives) or moods, tenses, persons, and numbers (for verbs).  I'm using
typical European categories here.  So then obviously a more highly
inflected language will have have a greater variety of potential forms
from which to draw the tokens in which a particular word can occur.  So
it's more likely that words used in a text of a more highly inflected
language will occur in a unique inflectional form, even if the word itself
occurs in other forms in the text.

For example, the Latin word stella can occur as unique tokens drawn from
the set of forms stella, stellae, stellam, stellarum, stellis, stellas
(suppressing variants for vowel length) while English star has only star
and stars.  What holds here for nominal paradigms holds in spades for
verbal ones (between English, even conservative KJE, and Latin or French
or German). In re KJE vs. modern NE, add eatest and substitute eateth for
eats in the set eats, eats, ate, eaten, eating, at which point we've
reached the number of forms in particular tense in a typical inflected
European language (3 persons x 2 numbers).

If you think of the different number of tokens appearing in "Puer ille
puerum illum videbat." vs. "The boy saw the boy." you get the drift.
(Note - I had to wing it on the Latin, and I know I cheated by using
demonstartives in lieu of the article.)

John E. Koontz
http://spot.colorado.edu/~koontz