Re: VMs: Stroke harmony. Was: Has anyone been down this route before?

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 11:35, Koontz John E wrote:
> Ah, thanks!  I did wonder about that, but my knowledge of Greek morphology
> doesn't go that deep, and neither did my dictionary, though it has other
> virtues (like listing verbs under irregular forms).  This -ma is
> underlyingly -mat-?  I'm thinking that the plural of stoma is stomata.  I
> suppose the -t- could be a separate element.

In Greek it is -mat-, from PIE -mn, with syllabic n. The Latin ending is -men,
-minis; the Russian is -mya, -myena; and the Sanskrit is -man. Some of them
are masculine; Latin flamen (cognate to Sanskrit brahman) comes to mind, but
there's another one that escapes me.

phma
--
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa