Re: VMs: Welsh/Cornish

25/01/2005 5:52:28 AM, <elillie@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Then you discount any possibility of (any) Voynich symbols being composed
>of  more than one letter?

No. But if some do, then, as I have written, we are left with less
than a dozen to represent the rest, one letter each.

>Sometimes "o" really is just an "o"....

"o" never occurs following "y" in Welsh, but <q>
(supposedly Welsh "y") almost always occurs followed
by <o> (i.e. "o") in Voynichese.

Conclusion? Voynichese cannot be Welsh.

Either that or <q> is not "y", but it is "i". In
which case it is not the article. And it should
been seen occurring inside words, e.g. "ddim",
"cariad", "gweithio", "siarad", "iaith" and so on.
Voynichese <q> only occurs word-initially.

Further, "y" does occur inside words in Welsh,
e.g. Cymraeg "Welsh language". But <q> does not in
Voynichese. If <q> were "y" it would occur word-
medially and word-finally. It does not.

So <q> cannot be Welsh "y"

And <q> cannot be Welsh "i" either.

>"o-", used as a prefix, can mean "of, from, with". Not counting words that
> actually begin with "o"..... (and there are many.)

No vowel is ever preceded by "y". "Yr", yes, but not "y".

>B)High proportion of nouns starting with "o":

>One of the breakthroughs of cryptographic analysis of medieval times was
>the discovery of a method to calculate character frequency in a text. I
>have yet to see someone realize that the technique could have been
>defeated by the Voynich author simply by going out of his way to use words
>that begin with the same letter. For example, instead of writing "Roberts
>son wrecked the darker yacht" he would write "Bob's boy busted the black
>boat".

You are assuming that the author(s) took the trouble
to "do a Gadsby" on us, never using, for instance,
words with an initial n or initial m.

As for the labels... ... ... ?

And so what? Even though Gadsby does not contain one single
occurrence of the letter "e" (and so, of the word "the")
I doubt that that would have prevented cryptologists
from cracking an enciphered "Gadsby". Jim Gillogly, please?
You are the one able to comment on that.

Erratum. I wrote, in my previous post: vy nghi "my dog".
No. It's "fy nghi". The letter v is not used in Welsh.
Its sound is represented by "f". The sound of "f" is
spelt "ff" in Welsh. I was confused, I suppose, by
the Breton example I gave next: "va zi".