Re: VMs: Geheimsymbole der Arzneikunde (was: Reprint)

Petr,

Not disagree, of course, but please one here has to be cautious; for instance,
at that time many alchemists and/or astrologs were too cryptographers.

Tranchedino vs Gessman: agree, could be useful.

Jean

PKaz <pklist01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gustav Wilhelm Geßmann
> Geheimsymbole der Arzneikunde, Alchemie und Astrologie
> I read it, but so far did not discover any direct VMS connection.
> Jean

I have borrowed the book from the KB. It is striking :
- there are indeed no obvious connections to the VMS
- BUT there are - at first sight - a lot of symbols that were used in
Renaissance crypto (i.e. Tranchedino, Papal cryptography, etc.).

So:
- many VMS-period cryptographers used alchemistic/astrological symbols
- the author of the VMS did not use this imagery
==> the author was NOT a cryptographer?

The more I notice the difference between all Renaissance crypto I know of -
and the VMS, the more I'm starting to believe in the hoax hypothesis.

I'll try to spot some obvious matches between Tranchedino and Gessman's
symbols. Or hase anyone alread! y done this?

Greetings, Petr