Re: VMs: Re: Transcription Ramble

On Friday 25 June 2004 22:17, illumin8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I guess I'm saying that I'm against the very Latin
> letters they chose. /M/<iin> look nothing like the Ms. [iiv] SHOWS me
> exactly what it looks like.

Well, it depends who one asks. Cappelli's dictionary of Latin and Italian
abbreviations shows eva <n> as word final roman-n or roman-i. So, to some, it
surely looks like an "n".
In any case, I doubt that using <n> instead of <v> is preventing anybody from
finding a solution to the ms.

As mentioned too many times already, whether <iin> is 1, 2 or 3 characters is
not really a problem. Just get a copy of Bitrans and convert all <iin> into
<M> (or whatever character you choose) . This takes only a few minutes to do.
But <i> and <n> need to be separate characters because they also occur on
their own. So let's suppose that <iin> is now called M. How do you write
same as the last character in <okan> yet they are coded differently, thus
contradicting the principle 'show exactly what it looks like'.

> So far, Frogguy most matches my perception of what the VMs looks like. ;)

Frogguy is analytically very nice, but more difficult to "read" and transcribe
than eva (at least for me).

Cheers,

Gabriel